“Gray hair” is one of the most dreaded nightmares for all women, especially those who have crossed the 30 mark! This problem is universal and widespread among the masses. It is one of the most prominent signs of aging and premature aging. Gray hair occurs when our hair is devoid of the pigment called “melanin.” It is usually associated with age; it can also occur in young adults. The other factors responsible for the occurrence of gray hair are genetic predisposition, natural chemical changes, and exposure to environmental pollution.
We often resort to various methods to cover up our gray hair. In this article, I will talk about home remedies for gray hair. Take a look at them.
How To Cover Gray Hair Naturally At Home
1. Dye Your Hair
This is the number of gray hair remedies. There are numerous dyes available in the market which you can use to cover up the gray hair. You can select from the various shades available like black, dark brown, brown, burgundy, etc. But always choose the hair color which does not contain ammonia in it, as ammonia is an industrial bleaching agent and will severely harm your hair in the long run.
However, when you color there are two aspects you must always keep in mind, which are how the color looks on your skin tone and the trend for that season.
2. Amla And Henna Pack
This is perhaps the most effective and natural hair dye to cover up the gray hair when we speak of gray hair home remedies.
- Make a hair pack out of fresh henna paste and 3 tsp of amla powder.
- You can also add 1 tsp of coffee powder into the hair pack.
- Mix all of them with a little amount of water to get a paste consistency.
- Apply it to the hair and keep it until it dries.
- Then wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Amla and henna not only provide the color; they also nourish the hair making it soft and shiny.
3. Black Tea Remedy
Black tea imparts natural color to gray hair. With the constant application of black tea, gray/white hair turns black. It also increases the sheen of your hair and makes them fuller and lively. This is a wonderful combatant in the list of home remedies for premature gray hair.
- Boil 2 tsp of tea leaves without adding any sugar or milk.
- Take the tea water and let it cool at room temperature.
- Then apply it all over your hair.
- Rinse your hair with cold water. Do not use shampoo while rinsing your hair.
4. Henna Remedy
Henna is natural and also possesses antifungal and antibacterial properties. Moreover, it also restores the scalp balance (acid-alkaline balance) without tempering the natural balance of your hair. On average, in order to get rid of those gray hair strands, one should apply the henna mixture every three to four weeks.
The best type of henna for covering your great hair coverage is “black henna” which in India, is popularly known as ‘black Mehendi. It gives a solid color to hair and is usually mixed with natural henna for silky and more natural black hair.
You Will Need
- 3 spoons of natural henna powder
- 1/2 cup of hot water
- A medium bowl for making a paste (use an old bowl as it will get stained)
- Old newspaper to keep the bowl
- A shower cap or towel or any cloth
- Gloves or hairbrush
- Boil black tea leaves in water. Take a saucer and pour water into it. Turn the gas on and then drop the tea leaves into it. Let it boil and bubble for a while. Simmer it until the water becomes half. The water should be in proportion to the quantity of henna powder you use. Always use natural henna powder.
- Take some henna powder depending upon the intensity of gray hair. Soak it in water for around 8 hours, preferably during the night. Once this is done, pour black tea into it along with some lemon juice. Mix it well. You should also add some amla powder to this mixture.
- Now, take that particular part of your gray hair. If it is an entire section, you can make a ponytail out of the other, so that they don’t stick to one another. Apply the mask with the help of a brush. Your fingers will also do the work. But choose something that is comfortable for you. Apply it all over your hair. See to it that you cover all your gray hair.
- You cannot wash your hair off right on that spot. You will have to wait for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, take a shower cap and cover your hair with it. Relax for a while now! Getting yourself a good massage or even a relaxing pedicure works well.
- Once 30 minutes have passed, you can wash your hair. Make sure you rinse it thoroughly to clean the mehndi. This might take up a little time. But you should be sure to wash your hair well. Coldwater would do wonders. It will impart a healthy shine to your hair. You can also apply a good amount of conditioner to your hair wearing gloves. Massage it well on the hair and wash it off. Repeat the washing process in case the hair is not washed properly on the first go.
Caution: If you are using pure henna, your white hair may turn pink or orange. And I am sure you wouldn’t want that. It would look unappealing and unnatural. Go for natural henna instead. It will add a glow and shine to your beautiful tresses.
If you have never used black Mehendi before, do a patch test to check for any allergic reactions. The longer you leave the dye, the higher the chance for the allergy to pop up.
5. Sage Water Treatment
Sage leaves (salvis or sefakuss in Hindi), is one of the most effective ayurvedic remedies for gray hair. It restores the natural color of the hair and prevents the growth of gray hair.
- Just add a small bunch of sage leaves to the water and boil it for some time
- Cool this liquid and spray it all over your hair.
- Shampoo your hair after 2 hours.
This treatment will show visible results in a few weeks.
6. Coconut And Lemon Remedy
It is an effective home treatment to be used twice a week.
- Take the amount of coconut oil according to the length of your hair. Mix 3 tsp of fresh lemon juice in the oil and apply it to your roots and the length of your hair.
- Keep it for an hour and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
This remedy will make your hair shiny and black and make all gray hair disappear.×
7. Curry Leaves Remedy
Another one of the perfect remedies for gray hair at a young age. Curry leaves are quite effective too. Boil the leaves in coconut oil and strain. Let the oil cool down. Massage onto hair before washing.
8. Ribbed Gourd Remedy
This is an extremely effective remedy to restore pigmentation in gray hair. Dry the pieces of vegetables. Let these vegetables soak in coconut oil for 3 days. Then boil the mixture till a black residue is left. Massage this oil into your scalp. Rinse out.
Another method of use involves boiling ribbed gourd with coconut oil and then mashing the ingredients when they cool down. Apply this amazing natural color restoring hair mask on your scalp. It will deeply condition the hair roots and strengthen hair follicles. Its natural pigments will get transferred to your hair roots that will trigger the conversion of gray/white hair to your natural hair color.
9. Have Vitamin-Rich Food
A healthy diet always reflects in one’s skin and hair. So include vitamin B and E in your diet every day. These vitamins prevent premature, graying of hair. Also include walnuts, almonds, and cashew nuts in your daily diet. Reduce the intake of sodium in your diet, as it only has bad effects on your health, it also triggers the growth of gray hair. Have lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
10. Having Lots Of Water
If the endocrine system in our body is malfunctioning, a lot of toxins get deposited in your body. These toxins lead to various health hazards including premature aging. In order to keep our system clean and flush out the toxins from our body, drink a lot of water. Drinking 10-12 glasses of water daily will ensure the proper functioning of our endocrine system and thus, prevent the signs of aging.
11. Almond Oil Massage
While the benefits of a hot oil massage stay unbeaten, it is good to nourish your scalp with almond oil daily. Almond oil repairs the hair cuticle against the damages like dullness and dryness. Hair that is graying due to sun damage, pollution, and dryness can be reversed and repaired with almond oil massage.
12. Potato Water Mask
Do you miss your old long, black and strong hair? It is time for you to get soaked in the goodness of my potato tip then. Boil a raw potato and use the potato water to make an amazing hair darkening mask. The potato water, alone as well as when mixed with curd, forms an amazing color restoring hair mask for black hair.
13. Black Coffee Remedy
If your hair has a natural deep golden tint, you will largely benefit from premature hair whitening with the black coffee hair mask. Black coffee, deep golden black in color, can dye your hair to the same color when used regularly. Apply the liquid directly to hair (from roots to tips) to turn your white hair black naturally.
14. Indian Gooseberry Hair Pack
Indian gooseberry makes an amazing color converting hair mask for dark hair. Its unique herbal constitution makes it a natural hair dye that is devoid of chemicals completely. Boil gooseberries in water and mash them to form a paste. Apply directly to the scalp. With constant use, this hair mask will cover all white hair and turns them dark/black.
15. Eat Oats
Yes, I am serious! Oats are loaded with the goodness of biotin. Biotin gives a deep and dark color to hair naturally. Thus, eating oats is a natural way to turn white hair black. You can also mash oats and mix them with almond oil to form a paste. Apply this paste to your scalp to turn gray hair black.
16. Avocado Hair Mask
Avocado is rich in Vitamin B 12, which maintains the natural hair color. It also protects against premature hair whitening. Thus, an avocado hair mask is a natural way to turn gray hair black. Boil avocado in water. Mash it and mix it with yeast. Apply this deep color locking conditioning hair mask on your hair from roots to tips. It will repair other hair problems like frizz and dryness.
17. Black Pepper Hair Mask
Last but not least in the list of natural hair blackening tips is black pepper. Black pepper covers up for gray hair in bulk too. Grind black pepper and add curd and lemon to make a paste. Apply evenly on your scalp. It will heal scalp issues like acne and dandruff. Gray hair will turn black naturally with the patient’s application of this hair mask for a month at least.
18. Quit Smoking
Yes, I mean it when I say it. Smoking increases the free radical content in your body fiercely. These free radicals are the main reasons behind premature hair whitening. Quitting smoking will not just prevent further damage, but will also trigger the repair process in your body. The repair process restores the natural black hair color of the gray hairs largely.
Why It Occurs
1. Genetic Impact
Most dermatologists claim that graying at 25 may be attributed to your genetics. If your parents or grandparents had premature graying, you are always at a greater risk of experiencing the same. There is some evidence for this cause, although, it is not conclusive.
2. Medical Causes
Yes, they can cause gray hair too! It has been proven that sometimes chronic cold, chronic constipation, anemia, or problems with the thyroid gland can also cause this disheartening problem. In fact, hyperthyroidism is one of the main factors for graying. The condition may worsen with radiation and chemotherapy. Apart from all these severe medical conditions, vitiligo also results in premature gray hair. When pigment cells are damaged under your skin, this drastic situation will happen.
3. Deficiency Of Nutrients
Believe it or not, graying at 25 may be caused by your imbalanced diet as well. If you are cutting down the intake of Vitamin B12, iodine, copper, iron, proteins, amino acids, and folic acids, you are exposing yourself to hair graying at an early age. A faulty diet causes a nutritional imbalance in the body. This eventually shows an effect on your hair.
4. Excessive Usage Of Chemicals And Electronics
If you are regular at applying concentrated hair dyes, your hair may have to suffer the loss. The same goes for frequent users of electric hair dryers and irons. Any kind of hair abuse is simply unacceptable for robust hair color and lustrous dark tresses. Poor scalp conditioning may also aggravate your problem.
5. Smoking Addiction
In some studies, it is concluded that active smokers also tend to experience this problem in their 20s. In comparison to nonsmokers, they have a higher risk of hair turning gray in their early years. This is a lifestyle choice that you must change for the wellness of your hair color.
6. Mental Stress
Stress and anxiety take a toll on your hair by causing premature graying. Both emotional and oxidative stress can be blamed for it. When you are hassled, Vitamin B levels considerably fall in your body. Some scientists believe that hair follicles are as vulnerable to stress as our DNA. So, whether you experience oxidative factors or mental worries, stress always makes you look older than you actually are.
Follow these simple and effective tips and have a balanced diet always. Till then, take care.