Have you ever wished to flaunt super smooth hair and be a head turner? Do you envy celebrities because of their lustrous, silky, and smooth hair or even their hair volume?
Smooth hair can be achieved by a process called hair smoothing that utilizes broadly two methods- natural and chemical. Natural methods are simple and have no side effects, but they are not permanent. The chemical methods provide a permanent solution (4-8 months) but have side effects and need proper care and maintenance.
In this article, I will discuss both the natural and chemical methods for hair smoothing and you can choose the one, which is ideal for you.
How to Get Smooth Hair
1. Use the shampoo suitable for hair type
A shampoo cleanses your scalp and also makes your hair soft and smooth. However, you should always use shampoo which is suitable for your hair. For better results, wash your hair twice with shampoo.
The best shampoos for smooth hair that are available in the Indian market are:
- Sunsilk keratinology shampoo
The advanced keratinology range by Sunsilk is made for women who want to achieve the salon smooth look at home. I have been personally using this shampoo and this is a great boon. It manages even the driest part of my hair and also repairs the ends. It does not weigh your hair down but makes it smooth and bouncy.
- Sunsilk perfect straight shampoo
This new range of Sunsilk shampoo has the Straight-Lock technology which controls and holds every strand perfectly aligned as it dries. It penetrates deep within the hair fiber, reducing frizz and giving you super smooth hair.
- Tresseme smooth and shine shampoo
One of my favorite shampoos, this contains vitamin H and silk protein which intensely moisturizes dry, rough hair making it smooth and soft. It is used by professionals and now you can achieve salon soft hair at home.
However, you should always try to use natural ingredients to cleanse your hair.
- Make your own natural shampoo by boiling dried Indian gooseberry (amla), shikakai, and reetha.
- Rub them well to get a soapy solution.
- Use this to wash your hair at least twice a week to get shiny and smooth hair.
2. Rinse with cold water
This would be a very difficult task in winters, but never use hot water to rinse your hair, as it will make it frizzy and rough. Cool water rinse causes the hair cuticle to close and lie flat making the hair smooth. It also de-fizzes your hair, giving it the right volume.
3. Careful combing
- Never comb your hair when it is wet, as it will damage the top layer of your strands making it look fizzy and rough. Always allow your hair to dry down a bit and then comb through them using a wide toothed comb.
- Always start combing from the bottom of your strands, and move upwards toward the crown. If you start combing from the top of your head, it can cause breakage and damage which will lead to frizzy hair.
4. Proper conditioning
- A deep and right conditioning treatment can work wonders for your hair making them smooth and silky. Here is a secret tip for you – do not rinse off all the conditioner from your hair. Keep a little amount of conditioner behind. This will smoothen the outer surface of your strands.
- You can also use leave-in conditioners and serums, which are very useful to achieve that smooth and frizz free look. Leave-in conditioners are especially beneficial for people with curly hair.
5. Take a break from the heat
- Straightener, curling iron, perming rod, etc may be the best solution for instant styling but on regular use, these are very harmful to your hair. The heat from these tools damages your hair making them coarse and frizzy, by stripping off the natural sheen from your hair. So start loving your natural tresses.
- However, if you want to use these tools, always remember to use the heat protecting spray or serum as it helps to reduce the damage from the excess heat by forming an envelope over your hair.
6. Blow drying techniques
Always try to dry your hair naturally but if are in a hurry, you can blow dry your hair. However, use a good quality big toothed round brush with a ceramic base. Use the cool settings of your blow dryer always as this leads to less damage, by smoothing down the cuticle of your hair.
7. Say no to chemicals
Do not use products that contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate or Ammonium Laureth Sulphate as both of them are industrial cleansers and are very harsh on your hair. Most shampoos contain these chemicals, so avoid using them. Research has shown that these chemicals cause heavy hair fall and thinning of hair.
Instead use shampoos with natural and organic ingredients, which are not harsh on your hair and also lock in the moisture thus giving you smooth and soft hair.
8. Trimming is important
As you all are aware that trimming the ends of hair is very necessary as it helps to remove the split ends of your hair. The split ends give an appearance of dull, dry, and damaged hair. So trim your hair every 4-6 weeks to get smooth and silky hair.
Now I will discuss the home remedies and hot oil treatments to get smooth hair. These home tips for smooth hair are simple, easy to use, effective, and have no side effects!!!
9. Mayonnaise mask
Treat your hair by giving then this deep conditioning treatment once a week. Mayonnaise is a rich source of L-cysteine which is an amino acid and a powerful antioxidant, also found in eggs. Using this hair pack regularly stimulates healthy hair growth.
- Take a cupful of mayonnaise and add 2 teaspoons of avocado paste into it.
- Mix well until it becomes fluffy.
- Apply to the hair starting from the roots, where the hair is most damaged.
- Work up to the crown of your hair and cover your head with a shower cap.
- Keep for an hour and rinse off with shampoo.
This is one of the best answers to how to get smooth hair at home naturally!!
10. Aloe Vera gel
You would be surprised to know that aloe vera is a powerhouse of 75 known nutrients. It contains enzymes that lead to healthy hair growth and makes it smooth and soft. The aloe vera gel has the same chemical composition as the keratin- a protein that builds up our hair. Thus the gel easily penetrates into the hair strands and provides the required moisturization.
- Cut out a few pieces of aloe Vera stem to get the fresh gel out of it.
- Dilute it with water and apply it to the strands of the hair.
- Keep for 30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
11. Egg pack
You must be familiar with the wonders of the egg pack. Whether you have dry or damaged hair or oily hair or want smooth and shiny hair, the egg hair pack is the instant solution to all. It contains a high concentration of proteins and nutrients, which help to make your hair shiny, and bouncy and provide texture and body.
- Beat an egg into a small bowl and then add 1 teaspoon of honey, cream, and olive oil.
- Mix well to smooth paste and apply all over the hair.
- Keep until it gets dried and washes off with cool water and shampoo afterward.
12. Banana pack
Bananas are rich in fruit acids such as glucose, fructose, and sucrose. It keeps your hair well moisturized, reduces the fizz, and soothes the dry, flaky, and itchy scalp with regular use. The benefits of banana can be enhanced by adding yogurt to it, as it is also a great hair moisturizer and smoothes the hair.
- Mash 1 ripe banana and add 2 teaspoons of yogurt into it.
- Blend it in a blender to get a smooth paste so that no chunks of the banana remain.
- Apply this all over the hair starting from the tips and working up to the crown.
- Rinse off after 45 minutes with a shampoo.
13. Vinegar rinse
Apple cider vinegar has been used for ages as a natural rinse for hair. Our hair has a pH of 5.5, but the shampoos and conditioners are strongly alkaline. Apple cider vinegar helps to maintain the pH balance of the hair and remove the build up from the hair accumulated from the excessive use of styling products. Rinsing your hair with vinegar will close the cuticles of your hair making it smoother, softer, and shiner.
- Dilute ¼ cup of vinegar with 1 cup of water.
- Use this as a final rinse after washing your hair. Leave this rinse on your hair.
14. Hot oil treatments
A hot oil massage once a week not only gives you healthy and smooth hair but also helps to de-stress yourself. Use oils such as coconut, olive, sweet almond, jojoba, lavender, rosemary, and thyme to massage your hair. You can also use the combination of these essential oils for better results. After massaging your scalp, wrap your head with a warm towel, as it helps for proper penetration into the pores, and keep for 20 minutes. Wash off with shampoo.
You also use various chemical alternatives to achieve smooth and straight hair. However, these are expensive but provide you with a permanent solution (4-6 months). You should be very careful before undergoing any of these treatments. Make sure that your hair is not over-processed and is healthy enough to handle these treatments. You should consult your stylist and get it done from a professional salon always. The pre and post care of treated hair is very important to get smooth and soft hair.
Chemical Smooth Hair Tips
15. Traditional relaxers
This method of hair smoothing softens and relaxes the natural texture of the hair. It is suitable for people having wavy or slightly curly hair as it does not work well with curly hair people. Relaxers provide a sort of temporary solution to texture and smooth the hair strands. The effect loses out once the chemicals fade out.
16. Chemical smoothing
This technique uses a lot of chemicals to break the natural bonds of your hair. Then the hair is washed with a smoothing solution and then the hair is straightened. This procedure lasts for 4-5 hours and the effects last for 3 months. Regular touch-ups are required to keep the smooth and straight look of your hair. It is not meant for colored hair.
[ Read: Want Lustrous And Shiny Locks Hair Tips ]
Also known as Japanese straightening, this technique is suitable for bulky, loose to medium curls, but not for very tight curls. The hair is repeatedly washed with the chemical solution which helps to break bonds and then each strand is shaped. Finally, the neutralizer is applied to achieve smooth, silky, and straight hair. This technique permanently changes the structure of your hair and regular touch ups are required every 5-6 months depending upon the growth of your hair. It is not suitable for colored or processed hair. Here is a detailed post on Japanese straightening.
18. Brazilian keratin treatment
This technique has widely gained popularity due to the use of keratin, which is less harsh on the hair. It smoothes the surface of the hair but does not permanently break away from the bonds of the hair. This treatment controls fizz by maintaining the volume and texture of the hair. It is safe for colored hair and is suitable for all hair types from waves to tight curls. Here is a detailed post on Brazilian Keratin treatment.
Follow these natural methods or choose any chemical treatments, to get smoother and shinier hair!!! Post in comments and suggestions.
Till then take care and keep it stylish!!!!!