All of us dream of having healthy, shiny, and beautiful locks – hair that would be our crowning glory! Unfortunately, hair fall has become a nagging problem nowadays. Hair loss is a common issue that affects millions around the world. Though it is painless, it can be a distressing experience to lose hair on a daily basis considering that women associate hair with beauty. No one wants to go bald (men accept it as a natural result of aging) or look old at a young age.
How many times have you seen your comb or brush covered with hair and worried?
Hair fall can even occur when oiling or shampooing. According to beauty experts, it is normal to lose about 100 strands of hair in a day. Beyond this count, it may be considered a severe hair fall.
What Causes Hair Fall?
The common reasons behind hair fall are mentioned below:
- Lack of essential nutrients in the body
- Excessive use of chemicals through hair coloring and hair styling treatments
- Improper and unhealthy dietary habits
- Hormonal imbalance
- Certain medications
- Dandruff, alopecia, and other scalp disorders
- Even stress and tension can lead to hair fall.
If you are stressed out due to some reason, consider doing meditation, yoga, or deep breathing exercises as they help in hair fall control. Also, make it a point to get adequate sleep every night.
Any underlying medical issue should be taken care of to avoid severe hair fall that can lead to baldness. The thyroid is a common problem affecting many women and this condition may lead to rapid hair fall. So consider getting a thyroid test done after consulting your doctor.
Here is a detailed post on what causes hair loss in women.
Easy Tips To Control Hair Fall
1. A wide-toothed comb should ideally be used to gently detangle hair and then the regular fine-toothed comb may be used to style the hair as per one’s need. This will reduce the risk of hair breakage and hair fall while combing.
2. It is best not to comb the hair while it is wet as this leads to greater chances of hair breakage and fall. Let it be dry or semi-dry before combing.
3. Do not rub your hair vigorously with a towel. This will only lead to unwanted hair breakage. Use the towel instead to gently soak out excess moisture.
4. Clean your combs every week. If you look closely, you will see that combs become dirty over time; so they need to be cleaned with a brush, soap, and water as using a dirty comb continuously can lead to hair fall as well. You can do this easily while taking a bath or shampooing each week. This is a necessary precaution to take for hair fall control.
5. Hot oil treatments are one of the best answers to address the problem of hair fall!
The tradition of oiling the hair to enhance and retain its natural beauty hails from ancient India.
Instead of opting for an expensive parlor treatment, it is best to use natural products that are safe, produce no side effects, and are also effective.
Natural oils such as coconut, olive, canola, jojoba, sesame, etc. can be used to massage the scalp for countering hair fall and encouraging new hair growth. You have to warm the oil of your choice by heating it; ensure that it’s not too hot but bearable, gently massage your scalp using your fingers or even a cotton ball may be used. Next, wear a shower cap, leave it on for about 1 hour and rinse off using a mild shampoo.
Here is a detailed post on how hot oil massage prevents hair loss.
As we know, hair fall problems can be related to the scalp – issues such as dandruff, dryness, flakiness, etc. With a natural hot oil treatment twice every week, the blood circulation in the scalp area can be stimulated causing the hair follicles to stay active. Hair loss can be countered through deep conditioning and eliminating these scalp issues, and at the same time, your hair receives the much-needed nourishment and care which will help in strengthening and making it beautiful.
6. Try to switch to shampoos that are sulfate, silicone, and paraben-free to avoid loading the scalp and hair with harsh chemicals that damage hair, making it brittle and more prone to breakage. Controlling chemical damage is certainly a sure shot way to ensure hair loss prevention.
Few such products are available from brands like The Body Shop, Soul Tree, Rustic Art, Organic Surge; The Nature’s Co., etc
7. Wash your hair at least every 3 days with a gentle hair cleanser or shampoo to remove all accumulated dust, dirt, oil, and bacterial build up. Keep it clean at all times to avoid hair fall due to unclean scalp and infections. This is a necessary step to follow as an answer to how to prevent hair fall.
Other Simple Tips To Control Hair Fall:
If you have been wondering what more you can do in your quest on how to control hair fall, here are a few more suggestions.
8. Do not subject your hair to frequent chemical treatments, excessive blow drying, ironing, and coloring as these can lead to hair loss.
9. Hair styles such as wearing tight ponytails, pigtails, or braids on a daily basis, using elastics and rubber bands to pull back hair tightly can cause hair fall.
It is an amazing natural remedy to fight hair fall and also effectively increases hair growth.
11. Eat healthy to minimize and prevent hair fall. Give importance to a balanced diet to counter hair loss as this is one of the best ways to prevent hair fall. Nutritional deficiencies in the body are a major cause of hair loss.
Iron-rich foods that are rich in zinc, Vitamins A, B complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids, and proteins should be consumed to overcome these deficiencies, add moisture to your hair, leading to a healthier scalp, lesser hair fall, and fewer split ends and at the same time for getting thick, stronger hair that shines with good health. This is a long term and effective way to cure hair fall.
Consider adding more of these to your diet – carrots, oats, whole grains, brown rice, green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, lentils, sweet potatoes, pumpkin seeds, oysters, nuts such as walnuts and almonds, flaxseed oil (Linseed oil) or grounded flaxseeds, fish such as salmon and tuna that are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids; eggs, beans, yogurt, low-fat cheese.
Do not forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day to flush out all harmful toxins from your body.
Home DIY For Hair Fall Problem
Homemade hair masks are inexpensive and a very useful option when the question is how to control hair fall without exposing your hair to any kind of harmful chemicals. They help to easily strengthen, nourish and beautify your hair with suggested use.
12. This DIY homemade hair mask is great for combating thinning hair and hair fall problems.
- Freshly prepared strong green tea (good quality)
- 1 egg yolk
How to Prepare:
- Take 1 egg yolk in a clean bowl; add 2 tablespoons of freshly prepared green tea to it.
- Green tea will be hot; so be careful.
- Mix nicely till such a frothy and creamy consistency is acquired as seen in the image. If it becomes thicker, you can add more green tea to dilute it.
[ Read: Avocado Homemade Hair Mask ]
How to Apply:
Part your hair from the center and apply this hair mask. Wear a shower cap; leave this on for about 30 minutes to allow it to complete its course of action. Rinse well followed by shampoo and conditioner as usual.
Why is this Useful?
The increasingly popular drink, Green tea is loaded with antioxidants which help in preventing hair fall and boost hair growth. Eggs have been used for hundreds of years to achieve strong and beautiful hair. Being packed with protein, essential vitamins, and nutrients, egg yolk is an excellent ingredient for preventing hair fall and also for boosting hair growth.
- Use this hair mask at least thrice weekly to get rid of brittle hair, dry and damaged hair, and hair fall problems.
13. Simple and easy DIY for arresting hair fall and inducing new hair growth:
- Almond Oil – 40 ml
- Coconut Oil – 40 ml
- Castor Oil – 10 ml
- Aroma Magic Stimulate Oil – 5 ml
- Aroma Magic Lavender Oil – 5ml
- Vitamin E capsules – 3 capsules
This is for a 100 ml mixture. Also required is an empty bottle for storing it and a measuring cup to take the required quantities.
You can use any one of the following brands:
Divya Badam Rogan Almond Oil (from Baba Ramdev’s Patanjali), Patanjali Tejus 100% Pure Coconut Oil, Castor oil from a local brand, Evion Capsules (Vitamin E), and the two oils mentioned from Aroma Magic.
How to Prepare:
- Mix the above-mentioned quantities of Almond, Coconut, and Castor oil.
- Now add 5ml each of Stimulate Oil and Lavender Oil.
- Slit open and squeeze 3 Vitamin E capsules into the mixture.
- Shake the mixture well and store it in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.
How to Apply:
- Massage the entire scalp and hair for about 10 minutes on alternate days.
- Leave overnight and wash off with shampoo.
Use this remedy for hair fall with patience and I am sure you will see the results very soon.
Treatments to Stop Hair Fall
This is one of the most commonly used treatments for hair loss. Not only is this a relaxing experience, but hair spa treatment also has a lot of benefits as listed below:
- It is meant to deep condition the hair, treat split ends, and repair dry, damaged, and dull hair as well as remove dandruff which is another cause of hair fall.
- It provides essential nourishment to the hair roots; fortifies the hair follicles and revitalizes the scalp, thus making a way for newer hair growth and countering hair fall.
- It prevents scalp aging and stimulates blood circulation in the scalp area through the massage, helps in maintaining a clean scalp and hair, thus leading to healthier hair and reduced to no hair fall.
- It also brings a welcome relief from stress and tension.
Many beauty parlors and hair salons offer hair spa therapy and it is wonderful to indulge yourself in this treatment once or twice a month to combat hair fall and get bouncy, smooth, and beautiful hair. Charges will of course vary from one parlor to the other.
15. Minoxidil (Rogaine):
This is one of the most effective, FDA-approved, and commonly prescribed medications from doctors worldwide for arresting hair fall and treating alopecia-related problems.
A non-surgical treatment, Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) is a medical treatment meant to effectively deal with hair loss or thinning hair and stimulate new hair growth.
Best Anti Hair Fall Products
Here’s a look at some of the best anti hair fall products available in the Indian market:
17. Trichup Hair Fall Control Oil:
A popular and commonly used anti-hair fall product, this is known to arrest hair fall, strengthen and nourish the hair roots and encourage new hair growth. It also protects the hair from environmental factors and chemical-induced damage, improves the hair texture, and repairs hair, making it strong and bouncy.
Directions for Use:
- Cleanse off the hair with Trichup Hair Fall Control Shampoo.
- After thorough drying, gently massage this oil on the scalp using your finger tips until it gets absorbed in the skin.
- Keep overnight for better results.
- Repeat 2 – 3 times a week for a minimum of 4-6 weeks.
18. Dove Hair Fall Rescue Treatment:
This is a recent launch from Dove. The Dove Hair Fall Rescue Treatment contains patented Trichozole active with Ginseng and Soy Protein to help combat hair fall in only 2 weeks.
It has the following benefits for the hair:
- Strengthens and nourishes each hair strand from the root, reducing damage
- Locks hair firmly in its place, giving freedom from hair fall
Directions for Use:
- Wash hair as usual and towel dry.
- Break open the flat nozzle cap and apply lotion directly to clean the scalp.
- Make a series of partings and apply lotion evenly to the scalp.
- Massage lotion for 2-3 minutes to let it penetrate into the roots of your hair.
- Use the entire content of one vial at each application and leave it until the next wash. Style as usual (must be left on for at least 8 hours).
- For best results, apply on clean scalp soon after towel dry & use every two days.
19. Parachute Advanced Scalp Therapie:
Formulated with Active Protein Complex and tested by dermatologists, this penetrates into the roots of the hair, provides essential nourishment to the hair follicles, replenishes hair, heals damage, and controls hair fall. Here is a detailed review of Parachute Advanced Scalp Therapie.
Directions for Use:
- Pour 5-6 ml of Parachute Advanced Scalp Therapie into your palm. For longer hair, you may use 8-10 ml.
- Gently massage it onto your scalp for about 4-5 minutes.
- Leave it onto your scalp overnight or at least 8 hours
- Parachute Advanced Scalp Therapie should be used at least 3 times a week, and for best results should be used daily.
20. TRESemmé Hair Fall Defense Shampoo:
Reasonably priced, this shampoo from TRESemmé has gained a lot of attention as it has been found to be useful against hair fall. It is gentle enough for daily use; it strengthens and restores health to damaged hair and prevents hair fall caused by breakage, thus giving smoother hair. Here is a detailed review of Tresemme Hair Fall Defense Shampoo.
Directions for Use:
- Apply to wet hair, gently massage, and work into a lather.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Use with TRESemme Hair Fall Defense Conditioner.
- For optimum results, use the TRESemmé Hair Fall Defense range. Style using your favorite TRESemmé styling products
21. TVAM Henna Anti-hair Fall Hair Oil
Enriched with the goodness of natural ingredients such as Henna, Brahmi, Baheda, Fenugreek, Jojoba Oil, Amla, Bhringaraj, Olive Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Sesame Oil, this nourishing hair oil helps to fight and prevent hair fall.
It encourages new hair growth by stimulating the follicles of the hair, strengthens hair, and reduces thinning of the hair and baldness with regular use. It, however, is expensive for the quantity you get in one bottle.
Directions for Use:
- Massage the oil gently onto the scalp.
- Leave it overnight or at least for an hour before wash.
Hair for women is more than the riches. Often our heart slips at the very sight of hair falling all over. Hair loss also results in a certain loss of self-esteem and self-confidence. But the good news is that it can be reversed with a few lifestyle modifications and healthy food habits.
1. Minimise Hair Fall out and Maximizing Your Growth Cycle:
The right vitamins and minerals play a major role in keeping your hair healthy. Any nutritional deficiencies can lead to thinning hair or even total baldness. It is a well known fact that an underactive thyroid can result in frizzy or brittle hair while an overactive thyroid turns hair greasy and limp.
The bottom line to this thread is that your hair ultimately reflects the overall condition of your body. If your body is healthy and well nourished, your hair will be your shining glory.
If you are having any health problems or suffering from any nutritional deficiencies, your hair may stop growing or show damage.
If your body is in good health, you can maximize your genetic growth cycle by taking the proper blend of amino acids and B-vitamins.
It is also important to include B-6, biotin, Inositol, and folic acid in the supplemental program.
It has been found that certain minerals including magnesium, sulphur, silica and zinc are also very important in maintaining healthy hair.
Beta-carotene is also essential to hair growth. This is because it is converted to vitamin A as the body needs it, helps maintain normal growth and bone development, protects sheathing around nerve fibers, as well as promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails.
Beta-carotene is found in green and yellow vegetables and fruits
2. Protein Is Important:
Since hair is protein, a diet that is too low in protein may cause some thinning in hair or a retardation in the growth cycle. The opposite is true, If you eat a protein-rich diet it will often result in improved hair growth.
Some nutritional experts suggest the dietary utilization of calving liver, brewer’s yeast, wheat germ, and a daily dose of two tablespoons of granulated lecithin to maximize hair growth, strength, and beauty.
Other good food sources for protein include fish, eggs, beans, and yogurt. Soy protein has also been found to be helpful in stimulating hair growth.
3. Growth Blockers:
Excessive stress and some medications are conclusively known to retard hair growth. If you have a medical condition and your physician has prescribed medications it is imperative that you follow your doctor’s orders regardless of the impact on your hair,
Warning: Always consult your doctor before you undertake any new type of vitamin, mineral program, or herbal program of any type to make sure it does not interfere with any medical treatment you may currently be on.
However, if you are under severe stress it is helpful to reduce the stress as much as possible. Consider meditation or relaxation as a way to cut back on any major stress in your life. Your hair will love you for it.
Another secret hair helper is rest and sleep. It has been discovered that to grow faster, hair needs an adequate amount of sleep (7-9 hours are suggested).
4. Hair Growing Supplements:
Eat right, exercise, reduce stress, rest, get lots of sleep and you are well on your way to maximizing your hair growth potential.
You can either take a good supplement that contains the necessary vitamins and minerals or you can make up your own formula.
5. List of Supplements to help against Hair Fall out:
In addition to making lifestyle changes, taking the following supplements every day can boost hair growth for many people:
- Vitamin B-complex – 50 mg. of the major B-vitamins (including folate, biotin, and inositol)
- Vitamin B-6 – 50 mg. of vitamin B-6
- Vitamin C with bioflavonoid – one to two grams daily
- Vitamin E – 400 to 800 IU daily
- Beta-Carotene – 10,000 to 15,000 IU of beta-carotene daily
- One recommended daily dose of magnesium, sulfur, zinc
- Silica (horsetail) – 300 mg. daily
- Nettle – 250 mg. three times daily
- Flaxseed oil – one tbsp daily or one tablet
6. Hair Growing Tips:
Some hair loss experts have discovered that people have excellent hair growing results by following the Zone Diet, which is low in fat. Many other hair care experts recommend the Zone Diet as very helpful for hair care concerns. Here are some other hair growing tips:
- Eliminate or cut back on smoking, caffeine, and carbonated sodas which weaken the body and block maximum hair growing potential.
- Eat a healthy diet. Avoid foods that are high in sugar or fat.
- Treat your hair like a piece of fine old lace. Treat it carefully avoiding any unnecessary brushing, combing, or handling.
- Avoid the use of hot water, hot blow dryers, or other hair care tools that may stress the hair.
- Have a weekly scalp massage to provide stimulation to the hair follicles.
- Do a series of ongoing hot oil treatments to protect the hair’s shaft.
- Have regular trims to eliminate split ends and allow the hair to look and feel healthier.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep to allow your body to grow hair.
1. HYDRATE FROM THE INSIDE OUT:
Have lots of water. Whatever you drink a day, increase by a glass. It remains the best and most basic contribution to hydrating hair. And a balanced diet rich in all vitamins including D & E? Not just for glowing skin – it’ll boost shine in the hair.
2. GIVE HAIR SOME AIR:
I always advise clients to allow freshly washed hair to air dry until half dry at least once a week. By blow drying for just 50% of the time, you reduce the impact of heat styling without compromising on finish. Small change big difference over a year. I also say We say, “Go Low Low” – Use low heat and low speed, it’s the best way to work with a curl to achieve definition and the best route to a frizz free finish on a sleek straight look. Pick a hair dryer that works harder for you too – beyond just drying. My Infrared PRO hairdryer dries from the inside out so it locks in moisture to keep that glossy finish, whilst the speed at which it dries minimizes the disturbance to the follicle and thus keeps frizz at bay too.
3. OVER WASH AND OVER HEAT:
Don’t over wash the hair, allow natural oils to produce. Choose a heated styling tool that has a choice of temperature and a hair protecting element. My Treat & Style available in Boots infuses Keratin as it straightens via the high street’s first capsule system.
A number of health problems can trigger hair loss, including Thyroid condition, insufficient protein in the diet, Hormone imbalance (such as underactive or overactive thyroid), Fungal infection (such as ringworm of the scalp), Lupus, Diabetes, Undergoing major surgery, Excessive vitamin A, Iron deficiency (rare), Vitamin D deficiency). Thanks to the recent advances in therapeutic science, these hair loss causes can generally be treated. Depending on your health issue, keeping hormones in balance, ensuring proper nutrition, taking medications as your doctor recommends, and maintaining tight control of blood glucose levels can help stop hair loss, and hair will usually start to grow back.
Some medications can trigger hair loss. Hair loss is a well-known side effect of chemotherapy treatment for cancer. But some common medications may also lead to hair loss, including anticoagulants that thin the blood, High blood pressure medication, Gout medication, Antidepressants, and Birth control pills. By switching to a different medication under your doctor’s guidance, you can usually stop this kind of hair loss. Your lifestyle, especially one characterized by high stress levels, not getting the proper nutrition, and significant weight loss, can play a major role in your health and in the health of your hair. Although experts don’t know the exact process, there is a clear relationship between high levels of stress and hair loss.
Somehow stress has an effect on the hair cycle. Typically about 90 percent of hairs are in a growing stage and about 10 percent are in a resting stage, and it’s these resting-stage hairs that shed. Stress seems to prompt more of the growing hairs to go into the resting phase and then fall out. The good news is that this type of hair loss is temporary; after the hair falls out, new hair usually will replace prevent stress-induced hair loss, maintain a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and a nutritious diet.
1. Avoid detangling your natural hair when it is dry. Always detangle wet hair that has been coated with conditioner.
2. Moisturize your hair often. Dry hair breaks off very easily because it is weak and brittle.
3. Avoid styles that put too much stress on your hair line, the added strain causes hair fall and thinning edges.
1. Sleep on silk/ satin pillow covers since cotton pillow covers extract the moisture from your hair making them dry and brittle.
2. Mayonnaise on Sunday mornings applied for 45 minutes and then washed off with cold water adds bounce and shine to your tresses.
3. Never straighten your hair with heat or chemicals. It accelerates female baldness and can be irreversible.
- For dry hair and hair loss:
- One egg yolk
- Tablespoon of Cognac
- Tablespoon of olive oil
Massage from the roots to the ends for 30 min then wash with shampoo and conditioner
- To make your hair looks shiny:
Mix organic apple vinegar with cool water and rinse your hair after shampoo and conditioner
- Restore elasticity:
Put organic coconut oil 2 inches from the roots and leave for 30 min. then shampoo. Do it one in the week
Practicing yoga is a natural way to combat stress one of contributing factors to hair loss.
Besides this following a healthy lifestyle, a good diet, and regular oil massage will result in healthy lustrous hair.
Hope this article on how to prevent hair fall will help you. This may answer you every question on how to reduce hair fall. Share your own tips to stop and prevent hair fall in the comments below.